The Halifax drum school presently teaches over 150 students. We welcome beginners through to advanced, roughly from age 6 upwards. The school strongly supports older learners and believes it is never too late to start. The school, which is professionally soundproofed is fully equipped with two kits, video facility (on request), and PA for playalongs.
Martin, the schools founder, has developed his own, unique approach to teaching the drums using cutting edge technique, gained through years of playing with world class musicians in a variety of settings, from TV to theatre, from arenas to recording studios.
The school aims to build on your playing confidence if you are already playing or give you a strong foundation if you’re starting out.
Check out what’s on offer
- One to one tuition in custom built studio
- Music Theory
- Contemporary Styles, (Rock, Funk, Jazz, Metal, Drum n Bass, Linear, Afro Cuban, Brazilian,& more)
- 4 way independence
- Open handed approach
- Grades- Guildhall Trinity Rock School exams- for those who wish to take them
- Working to a click
- Double Kick
- Brush playing
- Drumming day ‘’experiences’’ spend a day in the drum studio, and if you’re a beginner, we’ll aim to have you playing a song by the days end- enquire for further details, also see our ‘buy online’ page for vouchers/gift ideas.
- Discounts available for all of our students at www.northerndrumcentre.com in Bradford. (subject to availability and the stores discretion)
Plus hundreds of play alongs, or bring along a piece of music/track you’d like to learn.
For the more advanced players
Advanced Rhythmic Concepts
- Odd meters
- Beat Displacement
- Metric Modulation
Assistance in preparing for auditions, performances, specific set pieces, is also available. The school has successfully helped all students undertaking their grades to achieve 100% pass rates, with most achieving distinctions.
There is no real need to own a drum kit when starting out, and once students do decide to buy a Kit we can offer plenty of advice on where to buy, what’s needed etc, We will also add any students kits which are for sale onto our ‘
latest’ section on the homepage, as sometimes a second hand kit could be the answer.
All students are advised to bring a pair of sticks to their first lesson, and preferably some manuscript,(blank lined music paper, you can find in most stationary or music shops.)
What You Can expect from us
Lessons will be conducted in a friendly but professional manner. We will be honest with you concerning your abilities and goals.
What we expect from the student
Students are expected to put in the practice time realistically required to meet their goals. Guarantees of progress can not be made otherwise.